Tuesday 6 March 2012

Where the underworld can meet the elite, 42nd Street (well 43rd)

I may have mentioned it occasionally (well, more than that I fear), but I went to New York last week.  I went for a little holiday with my cousin Sally and we spent five days 'On the Town'  in Manhattan.  Five days may not seem like much but we packed so much into those few days that I'm going to split my travel tales into two blog posts.  This post details the first two days of our trip.  I've included rather a few pictures - I took over 500 in total, but don't worry, they aren't all going up here!


We spent the first afternoon just ambling around and enjoying being in America.  We commenced our tourist extravaganza the next day by taking ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  Although Lady Liberty was closed, we did get some lovely views from the ferry and enjoyed looking round the infamous immigration centre at Ellis Island.











 





America (and New York in particular) is famous for many foods (including bagels and the bacon/pancakes breakfast combo, both of which we tried) but something I was anxious to try was some famous New York Cheesecake.  When doing a bit of research beforehand, I discovered Junior's Restaurant in Brooklyn.  We went for dinner and in the end could only manage a small slice of plain cheesecake, but even that was amazing.  It's no wonder they are world famous for this particular type of confection. 

 





 
 It had been recommended to us to walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge as they views are spectacular.  Thank you to all those that recommended it - they were not wrong about the views.  I need not say more as I think the photos will do themselves justice.

 
  



























Despite being rather scared of heights, I promised Sally I would go up the Empire State Building with her (and the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre).  The night-time photos are from the 86th floor of the Empire State Building and the daytime photos are taken by Sally (silly me didn't charge my camera) and are from the 70th floor of the GE building (30 Rock if you will).

  


 
 
 














 

 




























We had the New York Pass which got us free entry to Madame Tussaud's, so obviously we had to go and spend some time with our waxy friends.  Here are a few of my favourite pictures.


 

 






That’s it for part one.  Part two to come in two shakes of a monkey’s uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment