Friday 25 May 2012

1940s Relived at Brooklands


When we set off from Brighton, the weather wasn’t as bright as we’d hoped, but we set off in a good mood regardless.  We’d been asked to attend the inaugural 1940s Relived event at Brooklands by Paul, the events manager, who we’d met at the Tweed Run in NovemberAs we arrived, we were greeted by a Concorde (oh how I wished I could go on one of those when I was younger, that and see the Spice Girls in concert!) That was only the start of many aeroplanes, cars and other vehicles.  I won’t go too much into them (to be honest, I’m not that bothered by cars, I just like them if they’re pretty), but here are a couple of photos in case you stumbled across this expecting hard-hitting motor journalism.





There was singing from the Swingtime Sweethearts (whom we later interviewed), rather a lot of dancing and displays from the Brooklands Homeguard and the strategic command.  We also had a nice chat with Charlotte from Restoration cakes, who told us all about making a birthday cake for Dame Vera Lynn (which is featured in the most recent edition of Vintage Life Magazine).
Charlotte from Restoration Cakes

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 There also seemed to be some rather dapper RAF chaps about the place, although unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to speak to them.  Now onto the important stuff – the clothes!  There was a best dressed competition running throughout the day, with the winners chosen from the plethora of beautifully dressed people present.

The winners were;
 

Best dressed man – Jethro (on right),
wearing a CC41 suit from the late ‘40s

Best dressed child – Thor (yes, Thor)
















Best dressed lady – Cindy, wearing a 1940s dress, coat and shoes alomng with a 1938 fox fur, a hat of her own making and a lizard brooch which was a reproduction of one of Wallis Simpson’s favourites. 


I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here, but recently I have become rather keen on hats.  I have bought some lovely ones (from the early ‘50s and I think all from the same woman’s collection) and have made a few (there may at some point in the future be a tutorial about that).  Anyway, I’m getting off the point which is that there were some phenomenal hats at Brooklands (many made by the Best Dressed lady, Cindy including the yellow hat below). 
I think it has to have been one of the best dressed events we have attended so far (perhaps because of the high number of wartime civilian reenactors present. As such, I had a field day taking photographs of some truly beautiful outfits and here are a few of my favourites.

 

 
 








































 


 
We had a really good day and considering it was the first time this particular event had been staged, I was very impressed with it.  All I think I’d ask for are a few more stalls, perhaps someone like Judy could curate?  All in all, not a bad way to spend the day before my birthday. Also, two separate people came up to me thinking I was Lola Lamour - unexpected but rather flattering!

If you spot yourself in any of the pictures in this, or any of my other blog posts, then do let me know and I’ll add your name.

* due to ongoing issues with trying to add photos to my blog (why won't it just work?!) I've had to leave a few out, so sorry if some of it would make more sense with pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment