Thursday 21 June 2012

A Rummy Old Day at the Launch of Mr B.'s 'The Tweed Album'

This post is a little out of chronological order, but it was such an enjoyable evening, it has jumped the queue a little.


We at the Vintage News, are great fans of Mr B. the Gentleman Rhymer , having seen (and interviewed) him at many events over the past few years (and even more so because parts of the video for ‘Chap-Hop History’ are filmed near my house!)  As such, I was delighted to be going to the launch of his third long-player ‘The Tweed Album’.  As is befitting of an album titled such, the launch was at the London branch of Walker Slater.  The venue was perfect for the launch, as Walker Slater has a fine range of tweeds in their London and Edinburgh establishments (incidentally, the front cover of the album was at shot the Edinburgh branch).















Even though we only saw him a few days before (at Vintage Nation), I was impressed that the set played was different.  One song I’d not heard before but particularly enjoyed was the shoe-gazing medley, also a big hit with the rest of the attendees – it certainly was unbelievable (sorry).  The launch was also an opportunity to have a nice catch up with Fleur De Guerre and meet Beatrix Von Bourbon (who was wearing the most gorgeous Terry de Havilland shoes).


A few people complimented me on my jacket (including one of the designers for
Walker Slater surprisingly) and I then proceeded to tell said people that it was a small boy’s jacket from the ‘80s.  I really should just have said thank you, I blame Hendrick’s.  


Hendrick's were the sponsers of the event
and ready suppliers of a few fine G&Ts.


















Please excuse the awful photo of me, but it’s the only one of what I was wearing.  At least you can catch a glimpse of Beatrix’s shoes!  Apart from the album, Mr B.’s club tie was also on sale.  It features a silhouette of Mr B. and did not look out of place amongst the selection on offer.



















I’d been listening to ‘The Tweed Album’ for the last couple of days so I was quite amused when ‘Curtsey for Me’ and ‘Edward’s Dilemma’ were performed, knowing full well their suggestive lyrics.  The album, starting as it does with the bold claim ‘I Invented Hip Hop’ meanders through various interpretations of Chap-Hop.  ‘A Rummy Old Day’ sounds to me very summery and brings to mind the music of the early naughties.  ‘Nicknackatory’ has a particularly catchy chorus and ‘Tinkerty-Tonk’ closes the album with a lovely lilting melody.  After a couple of weeks, the track that keeps popping into my head has to be the first of two Bullingdon related ditties; ‘They Don’t Allow Rappers in the Bullingdon Club’ (I think we need to get someone at Oxford to verify if this is the case!)

















I’ve not listened to Mr B’s past albums in as much detail as ‘The Tweed Album’, but I can safely say that it is more of the sort of chap-hop finery that we have come to expect from everyone’s favourite gentleman rhymer.

Do let me know what you think about 'The Tweed Album' or any other Mr B albums in the comment section. Happy listening!

Sadie x
steel boned corsets by What Katie Did

No comments:

Post a Comment